Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day Fourteen




When I was living in DC, a few years into my first job after college, I hit a wall. I needed a new challenge, I was bored with work and wanted to advance my career. I didn’t know what I was running toward so much as what I was running from. So I applied for a fancy-looking job at a big think tank, and I absolutely had my heart set on getting it. I pulled out all my connections, I managed to get an interview… and then the position was offered to someone else. 

After the rejection letter came, I wasn’t grateful at all – only further embittered about where I was stuck. Yet eventually, I realized this experience had lessons and gifts to offer. It forced me to think about what kind of path I was actually well-suited for. What was calling me, rather than what I was running from. It meant going through a tough interview process – which was fantastic preparation for my next interview. In pursuing my desires, I was bound to get burned somewhere. But if I’d never stuck my neck out and tried, I would’ve been, as Pink says, “just getting by” – never even moving on to the next step on my journey.

Have you ever had something just not work out as you’d hoped, and yet ultimately you were so glad you tried? Is there a place in your life, today, where the deck is stacked against you again?  

For today’s gratitude practice, experiment with a shift in your mindset towards this obstacle. Try moving from complaint to thanksgiving. Write a simple sentence, in your gratitude journal, or in the comments below, that describes this reframing. What is this obstacle teaching you, that you are actually grateful for? What new possibilities might this obstacle be making space for in your life?

- Lee

6 comments:

  1. I threw out my back yesterday and have been pretty annoyed/feeling sorry for myself/complaining about it and everything that I feel as if this is "keeping me from" doing in the way I'm used to doing it. So, this gratitude practice is perfectly timed for me. Today, I realized that this injury is forcing me to walk much more slowly and deliberately. With that, I've been able to pay attention to what's around me much more and stay focused on the present...the literal next breath and step I take. Perhaps what I'm especially grateful for is that the slow and steady pace has provided an opportunity to have really great conversations with people today, as they have also slowed their pace in order to walk with me. I'm grateful that my body reminded me of the value of one step at a time...in all things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of any instance where I wound up being glad about an obstacle. My life has only ever gone from bad to worse.

    I think I'm giving up on gratitude. It isn't working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caryn, I don't know you, but I want you to know that I am holding you in the light tonight.... feeling the desire to give up on gratitude must not be a very pleasant place.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Caryn. While I don't know what you're going through, please know that you'll be in my prayers tonight. Sending you peace and light....

      Delete
  3. I found my long lost relationship with my mom this past summer when she got sick. She was not expected to live very long, and the long, hard stare into the face of death brought her to me, to us. It was an incredible gift.... one I had been longing for since my early teen years. By some awesome miracle, my mom's health took a HUGE turn for the GOOD in September. Since then, despite the fact that she still has terminal cancer, she has kind of "gone back" to the place she was before.... which was also a place where "we" did not really exist. I was feeling sad, resentful, cast to the side, and "left holding the bag"... the emotional bag, the one we opened together... I wanted back what we had made as I had fully expected it to be a permanent thing.

    After spending some time with Ken yesterday, I was able to come to a place where I could see the summer and our connection as a gift unto itself. I was able to adjust my expectation of "permanence" into an expectation only of "what is..." In this place of "what is" I was able to see ways in which our connection is very much alive, but maybe just taking a rest.... maybe I need a rest? Maybe this work we have done needs time to marinate, and maybe I deserve to let things be... this shift has calmed my anxiety, breathed hope into a place where there was none, and allowed me to reclaim my place in our journey... in my journey with my mom. With so much gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the same vein as Caryn above - my comment is that I don't want to go there. The rejection still hurts a lot when I think about it. On the other hand, I'm a LUCKY person, and I cannot give up on gratitude with so much for which to be thankful.
    I hope you find peace, Caryn.

    ReplyDelete