Monday, November 25, 2013

Day Twenty-Five



Over the last number of posts, we've been writing about how gratitude is a form of intentionally chosen resilience in the face of the suffering of the world. Giving thanks is a powerful reminder that we can live more justly and compassionately.  In grateful, conscious contact with the many gifts of life we deepen our capacity for healing and wholeness.

Today's song is a prayerful hope that we can change.  One day, we may study war no more, as the Hebrew Scriptures say.  In your experience, who has most meaningful called forth this kind of life-giving vision?  Who are you most grateful to for their work towards peace and wholeness?  This might be a notable leader, a Dr. King or Gandhi, or maybe someone with a lesser known name, but who has still worked diligently for a transformed world.  Or maybe it's an organization or group of people.

Today, please express that gratitude  in some tangible way.  Perhaps teach a child about a legacy of hope left by those who came before you. Maybe make a monetary donation to a group that works to create peace and justice.  However you say thanks, please offer your appreciation for those who are working to ease the suffering in our world and expand the space for life to flourish. In expressing gratitude, we're helping to make one day become closer to this day.

--Ken

3 comments:

  1. "What's so wrong about peace, love and understanding?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a house in which we always had dogs, cats, the occasional fish, and hamster. But, always, dogs and cats. We always joked that the strays would always know to come to our house, where they would end up staying. I vividly recall being home for a break from college and on my way to the car seeing my brother walk up the yard with a stray cat. I could hear my mother at the front door saying, "We're not keeping it" and I laughed at even hearing the words. That cat lived the rest of its days in our house. I cannot imagine my life without pets, and I truly feel that I am a more compassionate person because of the gifts and lessons they bring to my life. So, today I am compiling items to donate to the animal rescue where we adopted our beloved Bubba to help those wonderful people who foster the rescues until they can find their forever homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is very good. There is motivation for others.Gratitude

    ReplyDelete