Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Day Twenty-Seven



The day before the holiday that animates this month-long practice.  If we're traveling may we all be safe, and also mindful of the many others who share the road with us.   Perhaps tomorrow we'll be reunited with people we don't get to see very often.  Reunited and, perhaps, it will feel so good.

And maybe tomorrow our hearts will turn to those who are missing.  Those we have loved who have died. When we look around the table or the room, we don't see them.  And in seeing their absence, there  is sadness.  Wherever we may be in our grief is where we are. Could be that our grief is raw, or is complex, or has been fully integrated into our lives, like one length of fabric in a fuller garment.

For me, my heart opens to my mother who died young and unexpectedly twenty-one Thanksgivings ago. My grief is part of who I am, and fully bound up into my life.  I have often turned to this poem "Late Fragment" by Raymond Carver to help express my experience of mourning.

And did you get what 
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.

I have always loved those two words "even so"--they're an acknowledgment that life has its sorrows, disappointments and sufferings, that death is an inescapable part of life, and that to know love is to know loss.  And, even so, the poet writes, there still is belovedness. Even so is a grace note that doesn't cancel out the pain of loss, but can contain that loss, and hold it in a grateful loving remembrance.      

If you are missing someone today, who are you missing?  If we're grieving, may we mourn, and may we be comforted.

--Ken

4 comments:

  1. I, fortunately, am not missing anyone today. I am surrounded by love and light and warmth... and togetherness. If I can be fully present, in this moment, I am not missing anyone.

    If I slip, even just a little, out of this present state, into the state I go so easily... I am stabbed in on the heart by the threat of imminent loss... knowing that any of these warm and wonderful moments might be the "last of" whatever we are doing. I find holidays hard now, thinking this this might be the "last of" a day that stands out in the year, on the calendar, in our hearts.

    So I choose to be present, to be so thankful that this day has come, this one where we have her, still feeling so good... reaping the love that we have sown. For now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am blessed with so many wonderful holiday memories! As I have gotten older the traditions have changed, the people have changed, the locations have changed....but the love, light, and gratitude in my heart remains. I cherish the memory of my mother and my grandparents....and holidays always feel a bit bittersweet since they've passed. So, I try to honor them in the best way I know how...by continuing to create more memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very question of missing a person is pale compared to the feeling. for me the question is.... Why is there a hole, an emptiness in your heart, in your life? Why does the very thought of him bring a flood of tears and searing pain??? And all this despite the tender, wonderful memories of 45 years building a life together; despite your new love who adores you; despite your family who loves you and comforts you and presents you with new babies to expand your love? Life is rife with cruel mysteries and arbitrary wonders. Moments of joy and moments of peace abound but always there is the longing for what cannot be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great information and holiday memories are here. Thanks for sharing this information. Gratitude

    ReplyDelete