Saturday, November 16, 2013

Day Sixteen



If you usually skip watching the video on these posts – today, please don’t. Humor me. I’ll wait…

Thank you!  This is one of my favorite songs. Today’s post is, in part, a blatant move to get you to fall in love with it so that the WellSprings band might start to play it. ;-)

The “you” in this song is used to refer to God, and the video, clearly, was made for a Christian church.  The idea of a God who takes dirt and dust and creates beautiful works of art out of our lives may be something that’s very meaningful for you, or it may not be. 

But what I love about this song is that regardless of who that “you” is for you, the song is true. We are literally made up of dust. All things on Earth were once other things. This is how the universe works. Everything we think is beautiful was once something ugly, and it will be again.  This can be a constant source of gratitude in our lives – all the ugly in the world, necessarily, scientifically, contains within it the seeds of something beautiful. The two cannot be, without each other. 

Today, go out and transform something. Grab debris from the side of the road, or trash out of your trash can or your car, and challenge yourself to turn it into a sculpture. Grab your camera and find something really disgusting to photograph – and challenge yourself to find the angle, the light, and the zoom that transforms it into a stunning work of art. Take a video of a pet, or a loved one, doing something ordinary, but take care with it like it’s a Sundance-worthy documentary. 

Where is the gratitude, for you, in the transformation?

- Lee

3 comments:

  1. Can't say I like the song - a bit tedious. Sorry, Lee. Transformation was a part of today's events in Morelia, Michoacán. A very long - one city block - calzada which is an enclosed street inaccessible to traffic - was transformed by decorating it with a carpet of flower petals, seed pods, thistles, fruit, etc. in beautiful tableaux honoring the 25th anniversary of the Festival de Music Miguel Bernal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually liked the song...found it calming and soothing. Today I was inspired to begin compiling pictures for a photo book that I'm making for Gayle. As I looked through photos on the computer, choosing the ones I wanted to use, I could see the "yearbook" unfold before me....moments captured that when put together will weave a story of the past year. I'm grateful for these moments, and for the chance to honor them.

    ReplyDelete