Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Day Twenty-Six




It’s been a privilege to write these reflections while taking WellSprings’ Listening to Our Lives Springboard, meeting weekly with a small group for spiritual growth – about a dozen members of our congregation – to talk about the timeless themes that faith communities have wrestled with for thousands and thousands of years. 

It’s fitting that last night, we were talking about God – what that word means for us, how it completely repels some, how for others it is the core and source of our days, and how for many it provokes every other feeling in between. 

Many people get hung up on the noun “God,” and how to define it. But last night, one of the questions we asked together was, “what if God is more like a verb?” What if those places where we see God, or recognize the holy – at the bedside of a sick friend, through the power of the rainstorm, in the sounds of a baby’s coo – are what matters more? What if the constant presence and availability of those holy moments is what we can trust, and have our faith in? 

In today’s song, Audrey Assad sings: “Your worries will never love you. They’ll leave you all alone. But your God will not forsake you.”

We all have the power to decide who God is to us. So who is your God? Don’t worry, I’m not asking you to choose from a menu of options – I’m asking you to reflect, for today’s practice, on what kind of God you could trust. Is there a faithful presence of some kind, in your life, that you are grateful for? That, in some sense, has loved you, and that you could love in return?

As the answers to these questions begin to come to you, consider writing and sharing a gratitude prayer based on today's reflection in the comments below.

- Lee

4 comments:

  1. Today, I am grateful for the the Great Mystery. I am grateful for the unexplained, delightful moments, occurrences and realizations that inspire wonder and awe. These moments, occurrences and realizations ignite magic, holding open a window into the Divine.

    I am grateful for the big questions and the little questions that explore the unknown. In those questions, there is hope. I am grateful to know that the wonder and awe, and questions big and small have connected our existence since the dawn of time, and may it always be so.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I simply give thanks for hope, love, and wonder...for all that has been, all that is, and all that is yet to be. May I honor it with peace in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how Rev. Ken sometimes starts the prayer at the end of his message with "God of our understanding..." I've loved the open endedness of it... but today this prompt encouraged me to try to figure out what MY understanding it. My answer in the form of a gratitude prayer:

    Thank you, God, for the ways in which you allow me to feel your presence. I have come to know you as a kind, forgiving, and ever present force of nature, love, light, and peace. I thank you for your patience as you have allowed me to continue on a journey of discernment, in terms of my own life, and in my understanding of you. I am so grateful to know, for a fact... finally... that you are here with me. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Tis grace that's brought me safe thus far....

    ReplyDelete